rss reader recommendations

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Tue Aug 16 02:51:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:11:29PM -0500, Ben Miller wrote:
> Would anyone like to recommend a GNOME rss reader, preferably one that
> integrates into the desktop environment? I know that Thunderbird has a
> good one, but I'm using the full Mozilla suite so I don't think I have
> that option.

Everyone has recommended either blam or liferea. I've used
neither. I have, however, used Sage (the Firefox [and
presumably Mozilla] plugin) and Straw. Under Windows I've
used SharpReader. Under the Mac I've used NetNewsWire. My
current Linux newsreader is aKregator, a KDE newsreader that
(like all KDE packages) runs just fine under GNOME. If I had
to rank-order my preferences across all newsreaders, they'd
be (in descending order of awesomeness)

1) NetNewsWire
2) SharpReader
3) aKregator
4) Straw
5) Sage

aKregator will be up to the level of SharpReader soon if it
keeps developing. It's a really fine piece of work; it just
needs some UI tweaks. I've filed my share of UI bugs on it;
hopefully they'll do some good.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org