pppd/pppoe in Breezy: doesn't connect on boot

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Aug 15 17:14:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

pppd behaves strangely for me in Breezy (after upgrade from Hoary):

I have set it to connect on boot, but it doesn't. If I run poff/pon
afterwards, it works. I only get this in /var/log/messages, although I
have debug on in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

Aug 13 11:31:13 localhost pppd[5738]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Aug 13 11:31:13 localhost pppd[5789]: pppd 2.4.3 started by root, uid 0
Aug 13 11:31:13 localhost pppd[5789]: Exit.

If I run pppoe again, it works until the next reboot.
It seems some package has also changed /etc/network interfaces for me,
since I suddenly have this in there, which I don't think I put:

auto dsl-provider
	iface dsl-provider inet ppp
	provider dsl-provider

Maybe some work is under way for integration of pppoe interfaces into
the GUI network config app? Is this breakage expected, or is there
something I can do about it?

Kind regards,
Mario