Ubuntu's Perl

Anthony Gardner cyclewood_ltd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 14:42:18 UTC 2005

This is quite advanced, I think, so I'll keep it quite
high level.

The Perl that comes with hoary is compiled with cc.
Now, I have had to install a fresh version of Perl
under /opt (but that's not important) because I wanted
to install Apache/mod_perl and associated libs and
Apache (downloaded from apache.org) needs to be
compiled with gcc. thus, it needs Perl to be compiled
with gcc.

Firstly, why is Ubuntu's Perl compiled with cc when I
would've thought the default compiler under Linux is
gcc

Secondly, does anyone know of a better way I should've
done it?

Thirdly, why doess Ubuntu spread Perl all over the
place? It's in /usr, /usr/local, /etc (I think) and
probably even under /var.

I'm very curious about this as I've used RH and SUSE
over 6 years and have never come across this b4.

CIA

-Ants