Sending mail via Pine

Mike Ginou mike at ginou.ca
Mon Aug 15 14:36:42 UTC 2005

Since you are using fetchmail to retrieve mail, I assume you have a full
mail spooler like exim, procmail, or sendmail running? In this case, I
am surprised that pine is asking for a password at all. Normally it
would simply hand this mail to your spooler which would be responsible
for sending the mail via SMTP.

However, that said, I know that when I used pine, I had to type in my
IMAP password every time I wanted to pull in remote mail. It is possible
to get around that, unfortunately you will probably need to compile pine
from source yourself. The password file is disabled by default due to
its security weakness. You can enabling it by changing a precompiler
define in the source code. The following page has a section on it:
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/pine-info/build/. You should
also be able to find info on it by googling "pine password file":
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=pine+password+file&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Mike