permision denied to write in a partition mounted at startup

Ed Cogburn edcogburn at hotpop.com
Mon Aug 15 14:25:39 UTC 2005

Martin J Hooper wrote:

> BKK wrote:
>> I have found what I am supposed to type into the etc/fstab. When I open
>> it with Kate I do not have permission to save the changes! Is there
>> another way to change the setting? My hard drive is NTFS
>
> If it is NTFS then you can't write to it period.  There are drivers that
> let you write to NTFS but it very very experimental and could damage
> your data...

Hi BKK,

Don't use Window's filesystem for Linux!  :)  Linux has its own filesystems
to chose from.  Reinstall Ubuntu and when you select the partition, make it
either an 'ext3' or 'reiserfs' filesystem (let it reformat the partition to
the new filesystem).

NTFS support in Linux is basically read-only, primarily to allow people to
copy things off their NTFS filesystem to Linux, like doc files and such.
Given MS's determination to keep NTFS proprietary, it is unlikely NTFS will
ever be fully supported in Linux.  Drop NTFS along with Windows!