Capturing an rstp, mms or ogg audio stream and coverting to MP3

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Sun Aug 14 14:54:22 UTC 2005

agger wrote:

> I need to download an RTSP stream in RealAudio VIDEO format to
>
> a file (I don't care which format).
>

> How would I do this? I tried streamripper, but it told me that:
>
> -----------------------
>
> agger at ganesh:~$ streamripper http://tinyurl.com/9b2p3
>
> Warning: splitpoint sanity check not yet complete.
>
> Connecting...
>

> error -54 [SR_ERROR_NOT_SHOUTCAST_STREAM]
>
> bye..
>
> shutting down

I recommend you use the "mplayer" program to do this.

Your URL, http://tinyurl.com/9b2p3, returns a file (media.ram)
containing a single line with a rtsp:// URL.  To capture this stream
you can use the rtsp URL with mplayer and the -dumpstream option.  At
the commmand line you should type (should be one long line, but will
probably be wrapped in the email):

mplayer -dumpstream
rtsp://www.superchannel.org:554/Channels/SITFLEX/MirrorheadTV/InterviewmedCarstenAgger.rm

When mplayer is done retrieving the stream you will have a file called
stream.dump.  The format of the file (stream.dump) will the the same
as the original stream.  In this case, real media.

If you want, you can change the name of your file:

mv stream.dump InterviewmedCarstenAgger.rm

Regards,
Larry