Looking for more Unix Linux

Guido Heumann listguido at web.de
Sun Aug 14 12:03:00 UTC 2005

Barry Young schrieb:
> I really like Ubuntu, but I want to emulate Unix as closely as I can
> (Without the office and GUI etc).
>

> Any ideas which version of Linux would be the best?

As others have already said, if you just want something without GUI and
Desktop apps, you can basically use every linux distro. Just use the
minimal install option ("server" for ubuntu). Besides that I think
Slackware is considered to be the most "purist" linux distro.

If you want to get really close to "original" Unix, you might want to
try FreeBSD. From what I've heard and read, BSD is much more like the
"original" Unix than any Linux distro.