DVD Player program

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 01:55:01 UTC 2005

On 8/13/05, Tim Holmes <tholmes at mcaschool.net> wrote:
> One other question please folks -- I am looking for a program to watch
> DVD movies on my Ubuntu machine-- any good recommendations

I personally use totem. It comes installed with ubuntu by default and
works really well. You will want to use the xine backend for totem
which you can install like so:

sudo apt-get install totem-xine

In order to watch dvd's you will need to install libdvdcss2. You can
get that here:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.9/deb/libdvdcss2_1.2.9-1_i386.deb

and install it with

sudo dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.9-1_i386.deb

Caution: libdvdcss is considered illegal in some countries. You may
want to check local laws to ensure your saftey. Generally it is ok to
use for person viewing. And I mean ONLY "PERSONAL VIEWING".

You will also want to make sure dma is enabled on your dvd drive with:

sudo hdparm -d 1 /dev/dvd
sudo hdparm -c 1 /dev/dvd

Hope this helps,

Matt