Compaq Presario (V2305CA) laptop and Ubuntu

Max Andersen max at militant.dk
Sat Aug 13 23:09:26 UTC 2005

Nathan Howell wrote:

>My sister just purchased one of these laptops and, being the smart girl
>she is, she wants Ubuntu on it (she will return it if it doesn't work...).
>So far, I've installed Hoary and gotten the wireless network running with
>ndiswrapper (although the packaged ndiswrapper in hoary was too old, and I
>had to build v1.2 to get it going.)

I've got an IBM T42P, and everything wireless worked out of the box, so
can't help you there...

>1. I can't get DMA working on the hard drive or optical drive. This is
>(obviously) a deal-breaker, as hdparm -tT is coming in at ~1.7MB/s. Yes,
>1.7. And that's an *improvement.* Initially, it was around 450KB/s. Ow.
>Here's some details:
>
>#sudo hdparm -i /dev/hda
> Model=TOSHIBA MK6025GAS, FwRev=KA201A, SerialNo=659O5342S
> Config={ Fixed }
> RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=48
> BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
> CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=117210240
> IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
> PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
> DMA modes:  sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
> UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
> AdvancedPM=yes: unknown setting WriteCache=enabled
> Drive conforms to: device does not report version:
>
>#sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
>/dev/hda:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma    =  0 (off)

Seems orlandu has a solution here. try it out:

>2. Video performance is also terrible. The laptop has an ATI Radeon Xpress
>200M, and I have to use the NoAccel option to even get Gnome to start. The
>fglrx driver doesn't even support this chip. Do I have any options to get
>livable video performance on this machine? Right now dragging a window is
>a painful experience.

I've never been able (tried for several days) to get the xorg server to
function well with my ati card in my T42P, so I tried out xfree86.

Sadly it worked perfectly. (sadly because of the licensing issues...)

Sincerely
Max