Verizon DSL

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Aug 13 19:47:29 UTC 2005

Rajiv Vyas wrote:

>What really surprised me was that when I asked this tech support guy
>at Linksys about how many calls they get from Linux users, he said
>that almsot none. That was very disappointing. It basically means that
>all the Gartner and IDC studies that come out about 2% market share

No, I do not agree....

Remember that most Linux users are far more "au fait" with what they're
doing than Windows users... most would not ring the tech support guy for
help as they'd realise he was unlikely to be able to provide anything
useful... generally these ISPs supply sufficient information on sign-up
(or on online help systems) to be enough for your clued-in Linux
advocate to configure anything necessary.

But, as I've said earlier, in many cases these are LAN connections
anyway and the routers deal with the DSL or cable connections and DNS
resolution.... so, to be frank, when things don't work the last thing
you need is ISP support... it's more support from the Linux communities
of which you are a part...

...and that's us :-)

Sean