udev

John French cjf at tow.org.uk
Sat Aug 13 14:21:51 UTC 2005

Derek Broughton gave some very useful advice to Neil Woolford about
using udev to fix the symlink and group for his modem. Since I had been
struggling with a similar problem, I tried putting a line in
/etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules, and it did just what I wanted.

Now I want to do the same for my USB scanner. The system knows it is
there, and “scanimage -L” returns “device 'epson:libusb:005:005' is a
Epson GT-X700 flatbed scanner”, but I can't identify the entry in /dev
which relates to it. Please can someone tell me what it is likely to be?

John French