How to make the background change

Charles Mauch cmauch at taclug.org
Sat Aug 13 07:23:35 UTC 2005

Greetings from Tacoma, WA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Verse, Luis!
On Thursday, August 11, in the 2005th year of our Lord, you wrote:

> In my machine I use fluxbox and have configured a cron job to switch my
> wallpaper every half hour. I would like to do the same but in Gnome. Is
> there a package or what command do I tell cron to execute every half
> hour so the wallpaper gets changed?

I pieced together a short perl script that rotates the gnome background,
checks to make sure it doesn't match the existing one, and will display
different categories of images depending on the time of day (I like cheery
backgrounds in the morning, and dark/moody ones at night).

http://charles.mauch.name/code-link/randgnome.pl.txt

Let me know if you find it useful.

--
Take it easy, [cmauch at taclug.org]

Charles Mauch, FSF Apologist, Debian/Ubuntu/Gentoo user, etc.
Every message PGP or S/MIME signed to verify authenticity.
The opinions expressed here are not those  of my employer, my
church, or of myself.       They are the opinions of Elvis as
revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster Lee Harvey
Oswald...