Hauppauge WinTV-GO tuner with Ubuntu?

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Sat Aug 13 05:47:11 UTC 2005

c-m writes:

> deffinatly the TV card as it makes the exact same noise when plugged
> into my stereo or cpomputer speakers.

Very good, c-m, you have verified the problem. You might want to hit
on the Hauppauge site. They have manuals for their products as PDF
downloads, (if you don't have one,) and peruse, to make sure I didn't
miss something about a mystery sound on/off SW switch, or something
weird.

I use the same product, in the same OS, and it works fine. You have
verified that it is not the sound card, since the Line Input works
with your player, and all it does is noise into your stereo.

Other than that, all I can hope is that you kept the receipt.

      John

BTW, for the record, I have several WinTV cards running in several
Linux boxes, mostly with recent versions of Ubuntu/5.04 and
Knoppix/3.6/7/8/9-all are labeled "NTSC 38101 Rev B426 WinTV", all
work with the native xawtv and apt-get'ed tvtime from the debian
archive. Some have 2 years of 24/7 on them. All are in PCI slot 2 from
the AGP which is slot 0. The NIC is always next in slot 1. If the box
has a PCI sound card, it is always in slot 3. I personally avoid slots
4-X, without spending a lot of time reading the PCI docs on the MB-the
HW folks cheat a lot on 4-X, and there are usually limitations on use.
The PCI cards are arranged reverse order of priority of what I want to
lose if the system is drug to its knees. But your problem doesn't
sound like a PCI problem.

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/