Is a RT2500 chip wireless card a good deal?

Jonathan Hudson jh+ubuntu at daria.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 11:53:29 UTC 2005

Joe Potter wrote:
> Does Ubuntu support an RT2500 wireless card? I was looking at a Zonet
> ZEW1601 which is certainly a bargain if it works.

I have two, one on Ubuntu IA32 and one on Ubuntu PPC. Works perfectly
using the latest beta from serialmonkey and the team at
<http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/> (actually has worked for many months
with various CVS builds). Kudos to them and to  RaLink for GPLing the
drivers. I would not buy any other make solely because these drivers are
OSS (as I told Edimax, who made the cards). Also told them they needed a
penguin on the box :-).

-jonathan