Experience of Samsung ML-1610 laser printer on Ubuntu?

Jack Jackson jackson.linux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 14:58:13 UTC 2005

David M wrote:
> Jack Jackson wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
>  about: Re: Experience of Samsung ML-1610 laser printer on Ubuntu?
>

>>Check the samsung website for your printer; Samsung is *nix friendly and
>>offers drivers and support. I like em. I bet yours is supported. You may
>>have to try some of the different samsung drivers which come with Ubuntu
>>to get it to work and not the one specifically for your model (sounds
>>crazy but there it is; mine is I think a 1740 and I use the 1710 driver).
>

> Samsung do seem to make a genuine effort to provide their own drivers,
> even going to the extent of listing which distros they support (they
> support Debian, but don't mention Ubuntu, but I would hope that Debian
> drivers would work without too much pain on Ubuntu).
>
> However, I'm always a little wary of manufacturers' proprietary drivers:
> do they integrate well with apt-get and system upgrades, do they integrate
> well into the system? Are they binary blobs that might cause problems, or
> do they integrate well into CUPS, etc?

I agree with you; however I also agree it is worth it to patronise
manufacturers who go the extra step to provide some measure of support.
Where HP announced it spends millions on Linux support, it is my firm
belief after months of dealing with the company that they told the
truth: they spend millions *marketing* themselves as Linux friendly; at
the same time, manufacturers like Samsung have gone so far as to hire
people to make Linux drivers for their printers. That's worth looking
into, even if their driver isn't as good as others, at least they're
genuinely making the effort.

> While I don't mind tinkering with my system a little bit to get things
> working, I'd really much prefer to avoid that kind of thing ;-)
Again, agreed: thankfully the Ubuntu samsung drivers work very well, out
of the box.

>>Also: On 25 July I wrote the list about a $50 printer (after rebates) I
>>have been using, which got the usual round of shrill accusations that I
>>was shilling for the manufacturer or sales agent, which I am not.
> Gosh, that's cheap!!
>
> Sadly we very rarely seem to get similar rebate deals in the UK such as
> seem to be quite common in the USA.. :-(

:(