How to make the background change

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Aug 12 04:36:44 UTC 2005

> In my machine I use fluxbox and have configured a cron job to switch my
> wallpaper every half hour. I would like to do the same but in Gnome. Is
> there a package or what command do I tell cron to execute every half
> hour so the wallpaper gets changed?

The name/path to the wallpaper is stored in Gconf, the key is :
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
You can set it at the command line (hence using a script run by cron or
whatever) with some simple command like this : "gconf <key_name/path>
<value>", but I have forgotten the exact syntax of the command, and 'man
gconf' doesn't seem to exist, so you will have to google it.

Also, on www.gnomefiles.org , there is a python script to achieve the
same result I think, might be worth a look :

http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=938

HTH,

--
Vince