Modem device is owned by root, so my user can't access it.

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 00:08:00 UTC 2005

I've been playing with using gnome-ppp to control an Intel 536 modem.

The problem that I have run into is that the system creates the /dev/536ep0
modem device
as both owned by and in group 'root', with no access permissions for
others.  Therefore my
user(s), even if in 'dialout' group, can't access it.

If I manually change the group for /dev/536ep0 to 'dialout' then it works
perfectly.

The problem is that this doesn't survive a reboot;  the system always makes
the device owned
by and in group 'root'.

How can I best change this behaviour?  (Ideally I'd also like a persistant
/dev/modem that links to the
/dev/536ep0 device as well, so that the applications can call the more
standard name.)

Neil