TwinView: detection of second monitor

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Thu Aug 11 16:27:26 UTC 2005

Hello All

I just got two new Acer TFT Displays (AL1715). Unfortunatly, I have to
use a VGA extension cable to reach my box. But with the extension cable
connected, the second monitor gets not recognized by Xorg. If I connect
the second monitor directly TwinView is wotking.

The second monitor is connected to the DVI port with a DVI-Analog
adapter. Is it possible to force Xorg to use this montior even it does
not detect?

If I add the extension cable after Xorg is running in TwinView mode
there is no problem with the picture, so the cable is OK. (The analog
port has no problem with the extension cable and during boot I see the
messages on both screens).

Or there are other ideas to make Xorg detect the monitor?

Thanks in advance, Thomas