(Breezy) NICs all renamed

Michael Wardle michael at endbracket.net
Thu Aug 11 15:49:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:04 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> For some reason, one of the Breezy upgrades must have
> renamed all my network interfaces. Now eth0 (which used to
> be the wireless NIC) is eth1 (which used to be the wired
> NIC). This is quite annoying.
>
> Any idea which upgrade may have done this?

My eth0 no longer gets initialized at boot time, so ntp, portmap, nis,
and logins as non-root users all fail.

I have to wait about two minutes for the startup of all the
network-dependent services to timeout, switch to a console, log in as
root, init 1, issue "ifup eth0", init 2.

I have two network interfaces, eth0 is my 3Com card provided by 3c59x,
eth1 is my nVidia nForce2 network card which I think requires a
proprietary driver, so is unseen by Ubuntu.

dmesg shows the 3Com card is detected early in the boot process:
-----
[4294672.145000] 3c59x: Donald Becker and others.
www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
[4294672.145000] 0000:02:01.0: 3Com PCI 3c920 Tornado at 0xc000. Vers
LK1.1.19
-----

/etc/iftab has a mapping for eth0 to my 3Com 3c card's MAC address.

/etc/network/interfaces has (comments omitted):
-----
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

mapping hotplug
        script grep
        map eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp
-----

I'm a bit surprised that the "auto" directive in /etc/network/interfaces
does not also list "eth0", but the file is unchanged since April.

I'll try adding it and rebooting...