[OT][was] sudo, why not su? - Why keep Synaptic

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:27:58 UTC 2005

On 8/10/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > Check the Section and/or Component checkboxes
>
> Er, no.  For instance, tomcat4, which comes from Debian Unstable - and I'd
> settle for _either_ Debian or Unstable, shows simply as "contrib/web".

AH, you didn't say you were using non-Ubuntu repositories! I can't
help you there-- I've heard it can be a big mistake to mix them in so
I try not to. (I'm not a developer so it hasn't come up yet.)

As I said before I suspect the exact contents of those columns
probably depends upon exactly how you've defined the repositories in
/etc/apt/sources.list -- I bet there's a way you can set it up a
little differently so the non-Ubuntu repositories are evident somehow.
It may require doing some unacceptable trickery with the path
definitions. I was disappointed that "main" does not appear in those
columns, myself.

But I remember earlier in the thread you implied you were perfectly
satisfied with kpackage, which apparently handles the non-standard
situation well for you. So I would say that is the solution for you,
and I'm glad you discovered it!