howTo build a binary deb packge

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Aug 11 11:09:52 UTC 2005

Johannes Behr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We would like to release our VR-System
> (www.ini-graphics.net/~avalon) as binary ubuntu
> package. Is there a good (and short) description
> on how to build a binary package with all
> dependencies?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49216&highlight=dh_make

worked for me very nicely.  I was able to build qemu 7.1 with it was
only a small amount of problems.  this set of instructions doesn't tell
you a few things that are necessary.  For example, it doesn't tell you
how to add dependencies to the control file.  It also doesn't tell if
you build a packaged differently when you have multiple executable
targets versus a single executable.  And last, it doesn't tell you how
to make it easier by building your application standalone first,
cleaning it out and then building it with these tools.

but other than that, it works great.

---eric