intrusion detected

Brian Walker bfwalker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 06:59:47 UTC 2005

Ah see now - I think we need a dedicted forum for discussing security
issues:

On 8/11/05, MrKnisely <mrknisely at mrknisely.is-a-geek.org> wrote:

> What is worg with running FTPd? I know usernames and passwords are sent
> plaintext, but what is the issue with simply having the daemon running?
> So long as you don't publish it to the internet and FTP from the
> outside, I don't see a security issue here.

I also failed to be so aware of security issues believing - falsely - that
linux would be less liable to intrusion. Well, perhaps linux systems are
less liable to be broken into, BUT that does not mean that we are safer, nor
that the situation will not change as more people get into linux and BSD and
begin to try expanding geek horizins by pinning our BIOS scalps to their
firewalls.

Merely installing a firewall is als NOT going to be sufficient, especially
if we adhere to the M$ concept of plug'n'play in the forlorn hope things
will work all the time, and rebooting if they do not.

So, having been all virtuous, I now reveal that I have bought books on
firewalls, linux hardening, hacking and cracking and realise just how
ignorant I am. I am a newbie in things computer, despite many years of
practice and above-average skills in comparison to many others. Seriously -
it is onmly a matter of time before linux is targetted by many more viruses
and trojans, spyware and crackers. If we do not start out with geek-credits
and learn to protect our computers, we will suffer.

So - anyone up for creating a ubuntu security forum?

Brian