is ubuntu suitable for computer without internet connection..

Guido Heumann listguido at web.de
Wed Aug 10 18:35:16 UTC 2005

::albert:: schrieb:
> so you mean that i should buy the dvd which contain offline repository
> and then copy it to my box and do apt-cdrom add instead of apt-get
> install?

Well, not necessarily buy it, I was more thinking about downloading, but
that's up to you. Just "get" it somehow :-)

For the apt commands: you still need apt-get install for installing
packages from any repository.

Usually packages are downloaded from the ubuntu ftp or http repositories
when you do an "apt-get install". The known repositories are listed in
the file /etc/apt/sources.list.

When you do "apt-cdrom add", you basically add an additional repo to
this list. It will ask you to insert a CD, and scan it for packages. (I
hope it does also work with DVDs, didn't try this yet. Can someone else
confirm?)

When you later install something with apt-get install, it will prompt
you to insert the CD/DVD to get the package from there.

Hope that clears things up a bit :-)

cheers,
Guido