[OT] sudo, why not su?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Aug 10 06:55:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 07:32:05AM +0200, J.Markoll wrote:
>MrKnisely a écrit :
>>J.Markoll wrote:
>[...]
>[Root Terminal]
>>The root terminal is just the result of running sudo... well, sort of.  The
>>command is:
>>gksudo /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>>gksudo is just a front end for sudo.
>
>>Yes, it is useful... though not really.  For a newbie that knows he needs
>>root to do something but doesn't know about the sudo command it is handy to be
>>able to just go through the menu and find what he/she needs.  Several other
>>items in the menu system use the same method.
>
>>The fist installed user is not the only password that will work.  You can
>>easily edit your sudoers file to allow other users the same permission.
>>MrKnisely
>Then I suppose the administration graphic tool
>'System/Administration/Users and Groups' allows to edit this file,
>through the choice of making a user belonging to some group, admin or
>adm group, probably ?

Nope!

Take a look at your /etc/sudoers and you'll see a lines similar to the
following:

 root	ALL=(ALL) ALL
 usr1	ALL=(ALL) ALL

This means that root and usr1 may run all commands using sudo. There is
no mention of any group or anything.

If you want to make it possible for everyone in the adm group to run all
commands you can add the following line:

 %adm ALL=(ALL) ALL

The user created during install is a member of adm so it should be
relatively safe to add it and remove the user specific line. Just to be
safe I put in a password for root temporarily :-)

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
     -- Douglas Adams