Gnome Backend Init error

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Wed Aug 10 06:02:37 UTC 2005

Alex Mandel a écrit :
> I tried to add cpufreq to my top menu bar in gnome, but it never showed
> up, no icon available and the correct components were not installed.
> Now every time I start gnome I get a backend init error.
>
> How do I manually remove the button I can't see from the menu?
>
> Alex
> PS: Ya I know, 2 posts in a row, I've been saving them up for weeks
> trying to solve them on my own.
Hello,
If I understand how it acts, the tool bars got unstable and crash
shortly afer login ?
Then, you could try go to the GDM screen (not loggued in X) and from
the terminal, suppress a branch of .gconf
Instead of suppressing it, you can 'move' it to another name (backup or
whatsoever)
The file to suppress(or hide from the system by moving it, in order to
test before deleting) should be:
presuming your login is axel
/home/axel/.gconf/apps/panel/toplevels

Then restart gdm.
Your tool bars should come back as they were by default.
J.Markoll