is ubuntu suitable for computer without internet connection..

Guido Heumann listguido at web.de
Tue Aug 9 17:32:49 UTC 2005

::albert:: schrieb:
> hi.. i'm a newbie in ubuntu and linux..i'm planning to install ubuntu
> on my dorm which there are no internet connection available.. does it
> suitable for stand alone computer without any internet conecction?
> because i've been told that ubuntu is very powerful when there are
> internet connection such as when i'm trying to install something or
> update something just as written on unofficial ubuntu guide..
>
> are there books / ebooks which is available for free and can be used
> by me as a guide for mastering ubuntu? please help me...
>
> thank u very much for your help....

Perhaps you could try out this:

Unofficial Ubuntu 5.04 Add-On CD
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-July/041909.html

And if you have another PC with good internet connection, you could
probably download the DVD image, which contains the whole ubuntu archive
AFAIK, and use it as an offline package repository. (install from normal
CD, later insert dvd and execute "apt-cdrom add"?. Didn't try this out
myself though).

Well, it seems that ubuntu is only doing dvd images for the
in-development breezy, but there are still older Hoary dvds around, e.g.:
http://nginyang.uvt.nl//hoary/

Hope that helps,
Guido