opinions on printer and a raid controller needed

Pete Hunt lists at ninjafriendly.com
Tue Aug 9 13:51:40 UTC 2005

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> I'm putting together server and I would like to use ubuntu for a variety
> of reasons.  The raid array recommended by the white box vendor is the
> 3ware Escalade 9500.  I have no experience with this particular piece of
> hardware but the manufacturer was recommended by a couple of people I know.

3ware Linux support has always been pretty fantastic (IME).
Tweakers.net did an in-depth review of 9 sata raid cards recently:
http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/557/7

Linuxmafia lists chipset support:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

> It's an sata raid controller and I'm hoping this will cause me a great
> deal of problems
? I'm assuming "won't" got stuck in your keyboard and became "will". :)

> and last, are there any caveats folks would give me on using ububtu in a
> server context?  I've used Red Hat, Gentoo and Debian and found them all
> lacking in various ways. (yes, I know ubuntu is based on Debian but it's
> better!)  where does ubuntu come up server-side short?

I have a couple of Ubuntu servers that are semi-production (they've been
  in testing / non-vital use for about a year as a webserver and
fileserver respectively) and I haven't had any problems with them that I
wouldn't encounter with other distributions.  The problems I see are the
relatively short lifecycle for each version and the more exotic hardware
for which the vendors only supply binaries.

The latter shouldn't be a problem for you since you can spec your server
so that everything you choose is supported.

   all I know is
> how well it works as a laptop system and I am really happy with it.
>
> thanks for your opinions.
>
> --- eric

NP

Pete