Disc partitioning

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Tue Aug 9 04:46:01 UTC 2005

Matt Galvin a écrit :
> On 8/8/05, Matt Galvin <matt.t.galvin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 8/8/05, Tim Gepfrey <gdadd at sssnet.com> wrote:
>>>Please have patience with me, I'm a newbie.  I'm trying to install ubuntu on
>>>an NTFS formatted hard drive next to Windows XP, yah I kwow all the jokes.
>>>I followed the instructions i.e. Boot installer, Make your way to
>>>partitioner, select manual editing of partition, select the partition ,
>>>select the size. Enter a smaller size and hit enter.  The problem is I can't
>>>figure out how to enter a smaller size for the partition.  Please help?
>>Hi Tim,
>>Welcome! It is always nice to see new faces :)

>>Have you already resized your NTFS partition to make space for Ubuntu?
>>From your description it seems like you may not have done this yet.
>>This is the first thing you want to do. There are various ways of
>>doing this. You could use a tool like Partition Magic from within
>>windows or you can use free tools. The following page describes how to
>>resize your HD and dual boot windows and ubuntu.

>>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WindowsDualBootHowTo

>>NOTE: There is lots of great information on the wiki at:
>>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

>>Hope this helps get you started. If you have more questions, feel free to ask :)
>>Matt
> Don't forget to back up your important stuff first!!!!!!!!
> Matt
Hello,
If it's the first time you're going to install, you could take time
to get all the informations on how to do it, to feel confident.
After backing up your datas, you'll have to scan and to do defrag on
Ntfs. The files must become as tight as possible.
Then you need to make Ext3 or Reiserf format partition(s), thus you'll
have to resize the Ntfs to get free space, cause Windows systems
consider they are alone and always take all the space when installed.

When you setup to boot on CD first, and go in the BIOS you have
to check if no PnP is on, so it must be disabled to obtain a good
recognition of the materiel (not useful for windows anyhow)

For the place to give to each partition during the install, it's a
number you change manually moving the cursor with the direction arrows.
Then erase with backspace and change it.

Two good things with Hoary: no need to partition before, the tool
ntfsresize with Partman does good job, and watches out for you not
to damage the Ntfs, and even checks if it is ok before starting. I tried
it and found out how to run it, with some help to start with.
Just I wasn't authorized to resize under 20 Go although I have a 40 Go
HDD, and the Windows uses only 5 Go.
Still don't understand that.

Then, there are in many places in the world Linux users groups, (LUG)
meant to help people close, and who organise install parties, and
sessions to meet and learn each other. You could try to join one.

If I write long, and maybe some of I say you already know, don't mind.

The other good thing is that there is a menu to quit the install in
a clean way, so no need of a wild reboot. Just have to go down the menus
in the general install menu to find it.(direction arrows for navigation)
J.Markoll.