(Breezy) gnome-desktop-environment removed

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Mon Aug 8 20:37:05 UTC 2005

I've been avoiding upgrading gnome-core for weeks, because
APT very scarily warns me that it will remove
gnome-desktop-environment. But today I decided to be brave
and see what happens, figuring that I could fix it if
anything went wrong. Nothing *did* go wrong: it would appear
that gnome-desktop-environment has just been ... superseded?
What's the deal?

Relatedly, upgrading x-window-system-core said that it would
be removing a bunch of packages. Again I was brave, and
again nothing bad happened.

*Sometimes*, when APT says that it will be removing a bunch
of packages, it either

a) says that a bunch of packages will also be *installed*,
   whose names suggest that they will replace the packages
   that are being removed; or

b) says in the changelogs that those packages are being
   deliberately removed.

But quite often it doesn't say either of these things. So my
question is: in general, how are we to know when a package
removal is benign versus when it's not?

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org