Experience of Samsung ML-1610 laser printer on Ubuntu?

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 15:31:28 UTC 2005

David M wrote:
> I've noticed that the price of laser printers seems to have come down a
> lot recently (here in the UK), and I'm getting rather fed up with the
> fact that my relatively-infrequently-used inkjet printer seems to use
> more ink in head cleaning cycles than it does in printing pages.. :-(
>
> So I'm on the lookout for a cheap laser printer, and one which seems to
> be fairly omnipresent, and has a good price, is the Samsung ML-1610.
> Unfortunately, it appears to be too new to have an entry on
> linuxprinting.org yet, but I was wondering if anybody was using this
> printer on Ubuntu and whether you had any success with it?
>
> Alternative 'Ubuntu-friendly' laser printer recommendations <£100
> also welcome..
>
> Thanks,
>

> David.

David:

I did a little digging on Samsung's UK site. According to the ML-1610
manual, Linux drivers are included along with instructions for
installing them in various distributions. Before you spend any money
though, you might want to post an inquiry on the Samsung list at
linuxprinting.

I've been using a similar printer for quite a while. Started with a
Brother HL-1040 five or six years ago, but it finally got to the point
where it needed a drum replacement. It turned out that it was cheaper to
get a new printer -- Brother HL-2040 -- which works just fine under CUPS
with the HL-1250 driver.

You're right that lasers are cheaper to operate than jet printers, but
you would do well to look into the cost of toner and drum replacements.
There can be a big spread -- not only between manufacturers but even
between model numbers.

HTH

-- cmg