firestarter blocking use of high ports by firefox and SSH - SOLVED

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Aug 8 15:02:31 UTC 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 15:51, Jack Jackson wrote:
> Guy named Rob has made a firewall package specifically for ubuntu. It's
> WICKED cool, simple and locks down everything.
>
> http://rob.pectol.com/content/view/27/1/

Hmm.  I don't see anything very special about that.  If you're looking for a
firewall along similar lines to this script, I'd recommend shorewall instead.
It's not all that different, if you take a while to understand it, and it's
much more heavily tested and flexible, too.

In terms of a simple, user-level "firewall for ubuntu(/debian)"... Something
that has hooks for installed packages, so that newly installed packages
automatically open the necessary ports, would be more like it :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com