Experience of Samsung ML-1610 laser printer on Ubuntu?

Jack Jackson jackson.linux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 13:43:03 UTC 2005

HI, David

David M wrote:
> I've noticed that the price of laser printers seems to have come down a
> lot recently (here in the UK), and I'm getting rather fed up with the
> fact that my relatively-infrequently-used inkjet printer seems to use
> more ink in head cleaning cycles than it does in printing pages.. :-(
>
> So I'm on the lookout for a cheap laser printer, and one which seems to
> be fairly omnipresent, and has a good price, is the Samsung ML-1610.
> Unfortunately, it appears to be too new to have an entry on
> linuxprinting.org yet, but I was wondering if anybody was using this
> printer on Ubuntu and whether you had any success with it?
>
> Alternative 'Ubuntu-friendly' laser printer recommendations <£100
> also welcome..

Check the samsung website for your printer; Samsung is *nix friendly and
offers drivers and support. I like em. I bet yours is supported. You may
have to try some of the different samsung drivers which come with Ubuntu
to get it to work and not the one specifically for your model (sounds
crazy but there it is; mine is I think a 1740 and I use the 1710 driver).

Also: On 25 July I wrote the list about a $50 printer (after rebates) I
have been using, which got the usual round of shrill accusations that I
was shilling for the manufacturer or sales agent, which I am not. The
printer was $50 after rebates; the refill cartridge is about $60, but
lasts for something like 3000 sheets.
  http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10363245&adid=17070&dcaid=17070

Check carefully but I think that would come in at under £100 if you
bought it in the UK.