(no subject)

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Mon Aug 8 09:48:08 UTC 2005

Rick Leslie a écrit :
> Thanks for the replies. I have tried both of the replies so far. I was
> working my way through the guide on the website so extra repositories
> were enabled and updated. I read in the same guide on how to back up and
> restore the apt cache, could I delete the cache and sudo apt-get update
> to refresh?
Not the way I understand you want to do things. The /var/cache/apt
folder contains the packages you downloaded from Synaptic (front-end) or
with console/apt-get. So, when you clear the cache, they disappear.
Once the packages dl and installed, you can perfecly clean the cache,
but if you need to keep a copy of all the packages, don't get rid of
them. (Making new installs, keep a backup of your install, and son on...)
the 'sudo apt-get update' won't refresh these packages, but _the index
of the files_ (=packages) contained in the repositories that you
have+the additional repositories that you configured in you
/etc/apt/sources.list.

This way, when you'll invoke for exemple 'apt-cache show', or 'apt-get
install', apt-get will know where to seek for what you're asking for.
sudo apt-get update must be run before install, dist-upgrade... and at
least once a day. If you install several packages in a day, you'll run
it only once.
J.Markoll.