intrusion detected

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Mon Aug 8 03:18:50 UTC 2005

Hey Brian,

I don't know a whole lot about the hardening stuff, I simply run minimal
services, mostly on incorrect ports, maintain good passwords, and keep
up to date. For the majority of us I think that is good for the 5 nines
(99.999%) of hackers.

As for your plans of hitting them back, don't bother, you would just be
hitting some poor unsuspecting sap who already has the problem of a
computer that is operating way too slowly with three million pop ads.
Most of the breakin attempts you recieve will be from zombie machines
doing automated scans of ip space.

Your best approach is to locate the root domain or isp and send a quick
email with logs reporting that the computer has been compromised. The
ISP will pull them from the net, and the owner will be notified.

Matt