Opinion: Java, Mono, Ruby, and Python in Linux == Problem?

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 02:47:26 UTC 2005

There are other interpreted languages out there, I know.  I've listed
the biggies in the Linux world.  PHP for reasons that will become
clear later.

I'm actually a little worried about Desktop Linux and Gnome in
particular.  Many would accuse a Kubuntu user of being biased, but I
predict a serious trainwreck in the not-so-distant future unless the
Gnome camp can settle on the topic of which to use.

Perhaps someone can explain why I am completely crazy here, but as I
see it Redhat seems to want to use some form of open-source Java.  SUN
wants to use their Java, therefore Open Office  uses Java for various
things....like a database.  (Strangest place to put Java if you ask
me....)  Novell wants to use Mono, so does Miguel.  Ubuntu seems to
like python.

If you look at Gnome-files there are many Mono apps getting churned
out right now.  None of which will run on a desktop that doesn't
support Mono (For sake of argument please don't point out that you can
put Mono onto Red Hat, I'm well aware of this.)

Here's my concern.  Red Hat isn't going to use Mono.  They've made
that pretty clear.  But, it looks like that means their version of
Evolution is going to start getting less useful and more people will
have to start bolting mono onto RH to use the plug-ins they want to
use.  Does Red Hat start moving away from mainstream GNOME?

Or, does Novell move away from Mainstream GNOME and have their own
little Mono version, which everyone kinda has to run if they want to
take full advantage of evolution?

OR...............

Does everyone run everything on their computers?  To me it seems silly
to have a Java interpreter, a Python interpreter, and a Mono
interpreter running on the same computer at the same time.  This seems
like a HUGE waste of system resources.  Maybe it's not....but it
certainly doesn't seem like the most organized way of building a
Desktop.  It actually seems like it makes things more complicated
rather than less complicated.  I say this because having so many
different languages and API's in the soup won't make it easier to
build in tight integration for things like CUT/Paste (something GNOME
struggles with anyway), etc.

I am well aware that this could happen on KDE as well.  You might be
using a Python applet like.....Karamba while using OOo on KDE.  So,
KDE isn't immune to this concern either.  Although, most KDE
developers seem to settle for C++ or Python, so I don't think the
fragmentation is as obvious on KDE yet as it is on GNOME.  So far
nobody is arguing about which interpreted language to use in a CORE
piece of KDE.  While I would certainly argue that Evolution is now a
core part of GNOME.  Right now Mono seems to be the wold-card in all
of this, and it is really only connected to GTK.  I can't think of any
QT or KDE apps that use Mono...although I'm sure someone here will
point on out to me within a matter of a few minutes.

I don't want this to happen.  I happen to truly believe that
competition is a good/useful thing.  If Gnome implodes/fragments
beyond all recognition, it won't be a good thing for KDE, or Linux in
general.  M$ would have a field day with the FUD on that one.  Nor do
I think this is imminent.  It's just something I'm noticing and
wondering about.

Just something I was thinking about.  I'm actually going to be leaving
on a canoe trip for 7 days in the morning with 30 kids with learning
disabilities.  In my absence feel free to flame me to a crisp...or
whatever.  I'll read this when I return.  I think this may spark some
interesting....and honestly important discussion.

--andy