intrusion detected

Brian Walker bfwalker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 02:28:34 UTC 2005

Greetings all,

I have been delving into computer security after realising how criminally
negligent I had been in relying on the safety of linux rather than true
security measures, I began to take the issue seriously:

most /var/log/auth.log

showed numerous (recent) intrusion attemps from a few would-be crackers
using ssh which was still open. I would like to do a number of things, some
of which may be less than pristinely legal, but I wanted some ideas of
reasonable action. I am using "Hardening Linux" whcih is aimed at RH and
Suse users, as well as 2nd edition of "Anti-Hacker Toolkit" and a few other
reference books.

1. What is the Ubuntu equivalent of rpm -Va (as in the command rpm -Va >
/tmp/rpmVa.log) when I seek to find out what/if any changes have been made?
I am fairly certain no intrusion has occured, but want to check.
2. What tools would you recommend for hardening a Ubuntu box?
3. Can these tools be automated to produce a regular report of intrusion
attempts?

Getting to the less legal side, what I really want to do is identify the
intruders, and EITHER report them to the admin (or alert the sysadmin as I
suspect from looking at the results of scanning that they have hijacked
another net) OR/AND hit them back. I see from nessus and nmap that they have
left considerable ports open, and are running vulnerable services.

Any thoughts?

Brian