openvpn test install (almost)

ashley maher ashley.maher at didymodesigns.com.au
Mon Aug 8 00:15:50 UTC 2005

I'm attempting to build a test vpn using openvpn2 and Ubuntu.

I have installed bridge-utils and openvpn2 using apt.

I modified /etc/network/interfaces as the example in bridge-utils.

I generated certificates fine. For testing I am using the supplied test
certificates.

Both the server and client appear to start properly. (I modded the
example config files minimally for bridging.) Using the bridging howto.

In the server config file is the line:
server-bridge 10.8.0.4 255.255.255.0 10.8.0.50 10.8.0.100

According to the man page that sets the gateway and the ip range for the
clients.

The client does pick up 10.8.0.50 on the tap0. (Which br0 is
192.168.1.101 so the ip must come from the server as expected.)

However on the server there is no ip on tap0. So I'm guessing that is
why no tunnel.

I've tried several things.

Ideas, comments, url's to pages great fully received.

Regards,

Ashley