[Hoary] acpi not working properly - no fan control

lespedeza ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Aug 7 22:42:23 UTC 2005

I also have some problems with fan control with acpi.  There is nothing
listed in the '/proc/acpi/fan/' directory and my fan stays on all the
time.  It will occasionally increase speed, but it never completely
shuts off like it does under windows.  I could be mistaken, but I think
it used to shut off with a previous kernel version.  I currently have
2.6.10-5.

I've also noted that when I do 'cat
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THR1/trip_points' only the critical point shows
up.  I know there are other trip points that you can set, but when I
attempt to do that, the only one that remains is the critical one.

I've tried a bunch of things in other threads, but to no avail.  Any
suggestions?

Specs:

Dell Smartstep 250N

P4 2.4 GHz