Performance shock

Peter Lieverdink ubuntu at cafuego.net
Sun Aug 7 07:03:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 02:35 -0400, pszilard wrote:
> I am just experimenting with Ubuntu and noticed that using the local
> 100Mbps ethernet connection I could transer a 2GB file to Samba almost
> wtice as fast as to an XP Pro file server. What is even more
> interesting is that Ubuntu is running on my test PC which is a 700MHz
> Pentium with 256MB ram, whereas the XP file server was on a 2.4GHz P4
> with 512MB DDRAM.
>

> The peak transfer speed was only slightly higher, but Samba was able to
> "take" the entire file in one stream, whereas XP was pausing between
> chunks.
>
> Anyone else try similar?
> -paul

No sorry, Netcraft have conclusively shown that you must be imagining
things. Please check http://www.microsoft.com/getthefacts/ for more
details. If there is still a discrepancy after that, you should order a
Windows 2003 Server license (and a new Quad Xeon machine) to fix the
problem ;-)

Cheers, with a grin,
- Peter.