Looking-Glass 3d Desktop

Steve Torrefranca javacide at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 16:55:00 UTC 2005

Charles Yao wrote:

>Looks cool how can i install it?

Full instructions can be found at
https://lg3d-core.dev.java.net/lg3d-getting-started.html

but just make sure:
1. have csh or you will get errors on running lg3-session.
2. you run postinstall inside the same folder as lg3-*
3. also running Looking Glass from gnome is quite challenging .  You
have to DisallowTCP (though you can always edit gdm.conf if you want)
and other stuff so if you just wanna try it out, stop X and run
lg3-session(starting new X-session) instead of lg3-app (command to run
Looking Glass from KDE or Gnome)

But my experience with running looking glass from my IBM R40 was
unbearable slow, maybe because of the video driver (ATI Radeon) since i
got some logs on bugs on ATI sbout showing wrong version of OpenGL, cant
remember ... was quite a while.  so make sure your cards support 3d and
your drivers are updated... other friends of mine had to compile drivers
from freedesktop.org.  I never went that far, too much work for a
desktop (errrr E17 is an exemption)

also i have seen there desktops and well its impressive in some ways but
i cant see myself running it soon.  here is another 3d desktop
http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/index.php which i never tried out.

bye

steve

--
Steve Ong Torrefranca
http://www.on-tvmall.com.tw

The time when I use AppFuse is when it kicks out Struts out of its system and use Spring+Tapestry... thats my 0.000002 cents :P