Skype sound

heikrnen ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Aug 6 16:34:15 UTC 2005

Have you tried setting parameters for alsa snd_pcm_oss emulator?

These lines have helped me both with Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu Hoary:

echo "skype 256 65535 direct block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

echo "skype 256 65535 direct block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

Shutdown Skype and write those lines to the terminal before starting
Skype again. Use "sudo" if you are not root.

I'am using SB Live Value on a 400MHz Celeron. Those settings also
dropped the CPU-usage of skype a lot.

For more details see the complete tread in forums.skype.com:

http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=17384

To make settings permanent I have made file /etc/init.d/rc.local:

> #!/bin/sh

> # this is to test whether this script is executed during bootup

> touch /var/lock/rc.local-test

> # alsa-oss settings for skype

> cat /dev/null > /dev/audio

> echo "skype 256 8192 direct block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

> echo "skype 256 8192 direct block" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

and I made a symbolic link /etc/rcS.d/S80rc.local ->
/etc/init.d/rc.local to make the rc.local -file executed at the bootup.

--
heikrnen