[OT] sudo, why not su?

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Sat Aug 6 13:45:11 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning a écrit :
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 08:56:14PM +0200, J.Markoll wrote:
>
>>Magnus Therning a écrit :
>>
>>>Is there any way of configuring pam in such a way that su behaves like
>>>sudo, i.e. asks for the user's password before executing something as
>>>root?
>>>/M
>>
>>Hello,
>>See with aliasing.
>>http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=169504&seqNum=7&rl=1
>

> OK. I suppose I should have been a bit more explicit.
>
> I'm _not_ looking for 'alias' or 'ln'. I'm not interested in writing
> 'su' and having 'sudo' executing. I want to know if there's a way to run
> 'su', the binary, but have it behave like sudo.
Sorry, my fault, I read too fast.

> I can configure pam in such a way that if a user in a specific group
> (often 'wheel' is used for this) calls 'su' then no root password is
> required. Actually no password is required at all!
>
> So, I ask again. Is there a way to configure my system in such a way
> that 'su' asks for the caller's password?
I think you should either choose su or sudo, and then give the admin rights
on this application for the group authorized to run this application.
su bringing you to get a permanent root, as long as it is not exited...
No root password required: do you intend to use one or not for this group ?
Someone else ?

> /M
J.Markoll.