General printing strangeness in 5.04?

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:15:04 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

Once in a while, I have a Ubuntu 5.04 installation start having
printing problems, and I can't figure out why.

I have two network printers (an HP LaserJet 4000 and 4050) that I
print to. Normally that works just fine from within Ubuntu. However,
sometimes I start experiencing one of two symptoms:
(1) The printing process looks normal, but the document never shows up
at the printer, or
(2) I can queue the print job, but it stays there in the "processing"
state indefinitely. Sometimes when this happens, the printer
eventually transitions to the "stopped" state.

When I have these problems, other users can still use the printer
without a problem. They're mostly / all Windows users.

I use various techniques to try to restore printing, and sometimes
they work, sometimes they don't:
(a) Delete the printer instance and re-create it.
(b) Restart my network connection (this doesn't usually work).
(c) Restart my computer.

Once, the only solution that worked was re-installing Ubuntu. I fear
that I might be at that point again.

Can anyone suggest how to cure my woes?

Thanks,
Christian