I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Alan Swartz kde at swartzes.com
Fri Aug 5 14:41:34 UTC 2005

J.Markoll wrote:
> But, the truly former Linux users never used root, although they could,
> but used sudo, to make their machine as safe as possible. Now that I
> know the trick, I wouldn't use root one another distro if I need to use
> one.

I like the Ubuntu approach using sudo and have embraced it. But I don't
understand why you say something like "truly former Linux users never
used root" when that just isn't so. I have been using Linux since 1999
and am responsible for Linux maintenance on a large network. We began
switching from Windows servers to Linux servers in 2002. Now the bulk of
our operation is done on Linux servers. In an informal survey at my LUG
most of the administrators present set up sudo for staffers but
continued to rely root accounts themselves. I found one other admin who
relies solely on sudo. I think this is clearly the best approach, but it
isn't accurate to suggest that real Linux users have always done it this
way. I agree with everything else you said.