I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Fri Aug 5 12:21:07 UTC 2005

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Michael J. Lynch wrote:
>

>>Tim Holmes wrote:
>>
>>>If the user has the root password, he/she should have enough smarts to
>>>not go screwing stuff up.  If the person does not need the root
>>>password, don't give it to them, but don't cripple the distro for the
>>>rest of us -- Setting the root password is the first thing I do on a new
>>>Ubuntu install
>>>

>>I take it a step further (for machines for which I'm not worried
>>about security), I make the root account not only passwordless but
>>I also make *pam* allow root login with no password via TELNET and
>>SSH.
>

> I suspect I smell a troll...  but please describe this hypothetical machine.
> It can't run any servers.  It can't have any compilers.  It better not hold
> any personal data.  What do you do with it?

They are used on a completely private network (read no-physical
connection to any other network) for testing automated hands-off
network based installs of Ubuntu for mass deployment purposes.  And
yes they are running servers (TELNET, SSH, HTTP, and SS).  You are
correct, they don't have any personal data, thus "I'm not worried
about security".

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown