Beagle on Ubuntu or Debian

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Fri Aug 5 03:53:27 UTC 2005

Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> Has anyone tried Beagle on Ubuntu? What has been the experience so
> far? I am tempted to try this but have heard some horror stories about
> it clogging memory space and slowing down the PC.
>
> Rajiv

Yes.  I recently installed beagle.  I followed the instructions here:

http://beaglewiki.org/Ubuntu_Installation

...including the addition of the backports repository.  As
recommended, I did *not* install an inotify kernel.

I had not trouble whatsoever installing beagle and all its
dependencies, so far on two systems, one x86 one ppc.  It runs fine on
the x86 system but crashes instantly on the ppc system.

It seemed to take somewhere between one and two days to index my home
directory (I have many, many thousands of documents, pdfs, data files,
etc -- maybe 60-70 GB total).  After beagle was running for a few days
I noticed the system seemed a little slow, and there were several
dozen "mono" processes running, but I didn't notice unusually large
memory usage.

The search functionality is really very, very nice.  For me, it's well
worth a little extra load on the system.

Regards,
Larry