I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 5 00:41:04 UTC 2005

Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 03:41:01PM -0400, Tim Holmes wrote:
>>Coming from the Redhat model -- All of our linux servers are Fedora
>>Core -- I had a period of considerable heartburn because I couldn't
>>find the root account, and couldn't find it in the docs etc.
>
> Oh come on; go to the main ubuntu website front page, pick search, type
> 'root' in the box; the second item in the list returned is:
>
> "What's the root password after I install? How do I use the root
> account?"
>
> It's not like it's hidden.

No, but it really wouldn't be that hard to make it clear when the installer
asks you for the name of the user who will have "sudo" access that there
_won't_ be a root password.  I'm guessing that the author(s) thought it
would only be confusing to newbies, but not giving that information is
incredibly confusing to old-timers.
--
derek