Beagle on Ubuntu or Debian

Charles Mauch cmauch at taclug.org
Fri Aug 5 00:22:55 UTC 2005

Greetings from Tacoma, WA, USA, a Wasteland of Burning Tires, Rajiv!
On Thursday, August 04, in the 2005th year of our Lord, you wrote:

> Has anyone tried Beagle on Ubuntu? What has been the experience so
> far? I am tempted to try this but have heard some horror stories about
> it clogging memory space and slowing down the PC.

I tried it about three weeks ago.  It took me a little bit of work to get
it running, creating a custom kernel, finding all the dependencies, etc.

My experience is that beagle itself runs great, but that the beagle indexer
leaks memory like a sieve.  It would begin working on my mutt mbox
archives, and 10 minutes later the indexer had consumed more than 2
gigabytes or ram+swap.  The only way I could kill it off at that point was
to utilize an ssh session i had already opened to kill -9 it.

It's a neat toy to be sure.  But it's not ready for general use yet imho.

--
Take it easy, [cmauch at taclug.org]

Charles Mauch, FSF Apologist, Debian/Ubuntu/Gentoo user, etc.
Every message PGP or S/MIME signed to verify authenticity.
Playing "Sadie" by Alkaline Trio (Crimson)