wireless at startup?

Ben Anderson benanderson.us at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:59:18 UTC 2005

Hi,
My wireless card is working great, however I must not have the correct
configuration in my /etc/network/interfaces.  Is there a good
explanation of the wireless settings anywhere.  I looked in the man
page, but the wireless options weren't even listed.  Here's what I've
got:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
#mapping hotplug
#       script grep
#       map eth0

# Added by ben
mapping hotplug
      script grep
      map wlan0

# The primary network interface
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
name Wireless LAN card
wireless_essid   mattie
wireless_key     2222222222
wireless_channel 6
wireless_mode    managed

So, this doesn't work, but once the system is up, I've been running:
iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
wconfig wlan0 essid mattie
wconfig wlan0 key restricted 2222222222
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhclient
#wait....
ifconfig eth0 down # why does this come up?  It's not even connected.
# and everything works beautifully

Any help on fixing my interfaces file would be awesome!!!
Thanks,
Ben