I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Thu Aug 4 19:41:01 UTC 2005

> On 8/4/05, Tim Holmes <tholmes at mcaschool.net> wrote:
> > Its not so much difficult, as it is STUPID.  I like Ubuntu, I use
> > Ubuntu, but I tell you what, that one thing (lack of easy normal
root
> > access) nearly cost the distro a user,  that has to be the most
inane
> > idea in the entirety of the unix/linux world. I use linux to make
things
> > easier, not harder, and having to type extra commands to do my
normal
> > administrator work is NOT what I call easier -- it annoying, clunky
and
> > a generally BAD idea.
>
> I love it when teachers rant and call things stupid.
>
> This sudo vs. root thing is really fun to read about every day, but
> maybe there should be a big red page in the installer that says "The
> root account is disabled by default - We use sudo instead."  Maybe
> then, when people are informed of such an apparently radical change
> and don't have to learn about it the hard way, we can stop discussing
> it on this list.

[Tim Holmes]

Actually Al.  That is a excellent idea.  Coming from the Redhat model --
All of our linux servers are Fedora Core -- I had a period of
considerable heartburn because I couldn't find the root account, and
couldn't find it in the docs etc.  Another possibility would be an
option in setup to turn it on or off.

As far as the RANT -- I don't do it often, and it was just some excess
stress escaping -- it must have something to do with moving my entire
office / workshop to a new room, and 95 degree heat -- LOL --

Thanks all for putting up with me

HAVE A GREAT DAY

TIM